Herberton Mining Museum & Visitor Centre

Location: 1 Jacks Road, Herberton QLD 4887, Australia

The Herberton Mining Museum and Visitor Information Centre is built on a part of the original Reward Claim purchased by the men who discovered payable tin mineralisation on this site 19th April, 1880.

Description

It was fortuitous for Herberton, Cairns and North Queensland, that this discovery occurred just as the gold fields further north were petering out, leaving a struggling economy and destitute miners in their wake. Herberton was a Godsend. The Great Northern Mine, as it was named, developed rapidly. First, the surface and easily worked outcrops were stripped of tin ore. Then shafts were sunk to work deeper deposits. The first was the Gully Shaft which at one stage was powered by a horse whim. The Eastern Shaft followed quickly and ultimately reached a depth of 600 feet (200 metres). The No. 3 Shaft began in 1907. However, the whole claim is pock-marked by smaller shafts driven to follow tin wherever it occurred. Much of the original haulage machinery is still here at the shaft heads. Some items are the only known examples of their kind in Australia. All can be seen on a short interpreted walk on the site. The Herberton Mining Museum seeks to present and interpret to visitors information about the Great Northern site, the history of tin mining in the district and how the town of Herberton developed.

Map

Hours: Open 7 days; 9 am to 4 pm. Closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and Good Friday.