2018 QICA Conference
Photo credit: Tourism and Events Queensland, Porcupine Gorge
Hughenden, 8-10 October, 2018
This year the 2018 QICA Conference was hosted by the Flinders Shire in Hughenden, in the northern region of Outback Queensland.
View the 2018 Conference Program
Connect with conference delegates
QICA Awards - Winners and Runner up
- Conference open by Mayor Jayne McNamara
- Update from TEQ by Rick Hamilton, Direcotor of Desintations and Global Partnerships
- Drive Toursim in the Outback, Peter Homan
- Session on the mind by Laurie Kelly, Mindworks
- a gourmet BBQ dinner held at the Flinders Discovery Centre
- Round table sessions by the QICA Executive covering: Research on the booking system, Develolping a handbook for VIC Staff and Volunteers, Local Events & VICs, Accreditation and VIC with Benefits.
With the majority of topics presented as round-table discussions, this encouraged networking amongst VIC Managers with the sharing of information and discussion on the direction and future of Visitor Centres.
The Flinders Shire Council were proud to lead QICA attendees to a “Meet & Greet” function and gourmet BBQ at the Flinders Discovery Centre. Famils also extended through the astonishing Porcupine Gorge National Park, just 60km north of Hughenden. Also known as the “Grand Canyon of Australia”, famil attendees were treated to a tour of the lookout, savanna plains, forest and popular walking tracks. Although 5 hours from the closest beach, the sandy areas and permanent waterholes are a reminder of the inland sea that once flowed through the Flinders area.
The QICA Executive team and members would like to extend a special thanks to our sponsors: